Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Urban angst

I've been caught in the claws of the US Postal Service monster. A "computer glitch" changed my address without my knowledge. All my mail was sent to this new address, which is an empty store front with a mail drop in the door. As I write this, I have bills and other mail sitting there, on the floor of an empty building. I went to the post office and got my address changed back to what it should be. Now I'm trying to contact the owners of the building so I can get in and retrieve that mail. To exacerbate this, some entities request notification of change of address and the post office duly notified them. I discovered this aspect when my water bill somehow came to the coffee shop instead of either of the addresses in question. The shop address is nowhere on the bill. The water company here changed my address (from correct to the wrong one) on their records. I straightened that out and probably will be wrestling with this monster and its sharp claws for a long time to come.

I got home and found a post card from the post office welcoming me to my new home. It was addressed to a park across the street from where I live. The letter carrier recognized my name and delivered it to me. Great. Wonderful. I feel like a character in a Kafka novel.

I am not making this up.

No comments: