Thursday, March 15, 2007

A day in the city

I've changed the pictures on the left side. If you scroll down, first you'll see a couple of shots from last Easter's Bunny Hop. That's an Easter Bonnet contest and I took this picture in the shop as contestants were taking a break. Under it are a couple of guys who worked for me at the time. Further down I've posted pictures of what's across the street from the shop. The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is now empty. On the corner diagonally across from the shop is that house with the gaudy paint job.

Colorful paint is typical of houses in New Orleans and especially in the Marigny. The Caribbean influences are clear. Its hard to be a rigid, uptight and judgemental person when you paint your house hot pink.

I noticed two Mardi Gras flags still up - one on a home and one on a business. Most of us have switched over to the city flag. I suppose most cities have an official flag - but I wonder how many people in other cities fly them on flag poles from their homes. I don't remember seeing it anywhere else. You see the New Orleans flag flying all over town. The fleur de Lis is ubiquitous. Its testimony to our love of our city and our sense of identity as New Orleanians. Its used on our foot ball team and our flag. Its been tattooed on people and painted on buildings and road signs. Its an ancient design, associated with the Bourbon dynasty of French royalty. I've posted one on the top on the left.

My Mardi Gras flag is folded and carefully put away and now the city flag with the fleur de lis flies proudly over my coffee shop.

No comments: