Monday, March 12, 2007

In hell with the IRS

Last October I filed my 2005 income tax return and was due a refund. After I sent off the return, I moved and filed a change of address with the post office. The post office got the refund check but sent it back to the IRS. After lots of frustrating phone calls I filed a change of address with the IRS. Then they almost got it right. They sent my refund check to a non existent address. Then they required me to file a change of address form from the non existent address to my actual address. All this time I'm advised to fax in the forms, but their fax number is so busy its faster to send it by snail mail.

I still don't have my refund check and have no idea when I'll get it. The IRS records do show they owe me the money. I'm about to file my return for 2006 without having gotten the refund from 2005. I've spent hours and hours on the phone and faxing. Its a good thing I don't owe them or I'd be in jail by now!

No comments: