Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Katrina and Walter Reed, Politics and Books

The contractor hired by the Bush administration to help with Katrina recovery was so incompetent it couldn't even deliver ice in the immediate aftermath of the storm. Surprise, surprise! Its the same outfit that has the contract for out patient services at Walter Reed. It was formed after Bush took office by former executives of Haliburten. How long will it take us to be free from these evil men?

There are a couple of new programs at the shop. When there are enough people, I'll call a meeting. You could sign up for both if you like. I expect to meet at the shop on weekday evenings. Here's info on each:

THOSE WHO WOULD BE PRESIDENT

I’m going to start an ongoing series of forums focused on the presidential race. I’m going to try to get someone to represent each candidate and I’ll moderate a regular discussion of the events of the race.

I see this as a way to get better informed and to hear a variety of opinions and viewpoints. I expect there would be a lively and entertaining discussion as well.

If you’re interested, leave word with the barista. Let me know how to contact you (email, phone or both) and if you have a candidate you particularly like, let me know that too. Please specify that it’s the political forum you’re interested in.

BOOK CLUB

I'm looking for a few people to start a book club. We could all read the same book, or we could pick a topic and each person would read something of his own choosing. We could expand it into a broader discussion group for movies, performances, etc. I'm currently reading, "State of Denial" by Bob Woodward. What's your current or recent book choice?

If you're interested, please leave word with the barista. Let me know how to contact you (email, phone or both) and specify that its the book club you're interested in.

No comments: