Sunday, February 11, 2007

I went to a party last night in a landmark building on the corner of Camp and Calliope. I live across the street - on the other side of the interstate. There is a traffic signal on that corner that is green for both, opposing streams of cars for 7 seconds. Its long enough to result in major crashes every other week or so. I've seen more cars upside down since I moved there than I have ever seen before. This morning I looked out of my window and saw parade floats sail by on the interstate. It looked as if they were airborne.......very surrealistic.

Mardi Gras is a cultural phenomenon. It is the prime example of the authenticity that gives our culture its power. Mardi Gras is not put on by an ad agency or entertainment conglomerate. It is an expression of popular will. All of our culture has that same power of authenticity.

Meanwhile, back at the shop I've been adding more new items. Billy is making single serving size king cakes (currently Apple & Cream Cheese) and they are as good as you would expect. A
new vendor has brought Magic Bars (graham crackers, nuts, chocolate chips, and condensed milk). Another new vendor supplies us with hot tamales (chicken and pork for the carnivores, a veggie tamale and a vegan one). Check the dry erase board on the wall opposite the cash register.

1 comment:

Jeff Taylor said...

Great blog, keep it up. We are reading it! My wife enjoys your place tremendously. We are looking forward to trying some of the new items.