Thursday, February 15, 2007

Food, the French Quarter and me

I intended to continue the exploration of the language we use but am going to postpone that for a while. I was going to engage some critical thinking about language in politics but my brain has shut down now, so that'll have to wait. I thought I could dodge around the parade tonight to get home and boy, was I wrong. I think I drove enough getting home to have gone to Atalanta and back.

Travis made up black bean salsa tonight so we'll have it for tomorrow. He's going to make his Gooey Butter Bars again as soon as I get the ingredients. Do you remember the Gooey Butter Bars. Yummy! There are more new menu items on the way.

I've been around food preparation since I was a baby. My dad owned a restaurant in the French Quarter when I was born. We lived in the Pontalba Building and I played in Jackson Square. My parents moved to the Brulatour Courtyard on Royal St next and I rode my tricycle up and down Royal St. I've attached a couple of pictures of the courtyard and I have one of myself sitting on the stairs in the attached picture. I'm wearing a long white nightshirt and holding a candle stick with a lit candle in it. I got in a lot of trouble for that. Someday I'll scan in that picture and post it.

This courtyard is one of the most recognizable landmarks of the French Quarter, with it's signature arch and stairway, and its fan doors and windows. This patio, like most in the Quarter, was originally an open area behind the residences, and adjacent to stables, where the owners kept their horses and carriages. The Brulatour dates to 1816, when François Seignouret built it. Home of the New Orleans Art League in the 1930s, it was the subject of many paintings by local emerging artists, many of whom now form the core of the New Orleans art community. In those days, a large pottery olive jar planter stood in the place that is now occupied by the famous fountain. The interest in the Brulatour Patio by artists and photographers continues to this day, making it one of the most frequently painted and photographed landmarks of New Orleans. There were writers too, and politicians and other rascals and it was my playground for a happy time.

No comments: