Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hiking on the Great Wall of China

I put up a couple of pictures of places I went on a 1999 trip to China. The Great Wall was much harder to walk than I expected. Its often very steep and it was built on mountain tops. The Forbidden City in Beijing is vast and ancient. I got a bicycle and rode around and found a market under Tienanmen Square. I flew China Air up to an archaeological dig where an army of thousands of terra cotta warriors were buried with an emperor. Each was hand carved and unique. Amazing.

I'm going to discuss the words we use in my next post. Its important because we think with words and if we are sloppy in our language, our thinking will be sloppy. For example, think of the word, awesome. The definition is: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures. Now if you find tennis shoes or tacos awesome, you have cheapened your own sense of awe. Then what word do you use when standing in front of a great work of art? If you has a limited emotional vocabulary, you are unable to even identify your own feelings. Think about the difference between love and obsession. More on all this later.


No comments: