Sunday, June 3, 2007

The candidates debate

I just watched the Democratic candidates debate on CNN. First of all, CNN didn't impress me. Wolf Blitzer persisted in asking dumb questions that are not worthy of the candidates or the process.

I thought all of them did better than in the last debate. I was more impressed with Hillary than I was before, even though I have serious reservations about her. Obama's style and experience don't lend themselves well to a debate format. He let one opportunity after another go by without challenging Hillary. She slid away from direct answers without anyone calling her on it.

I'm particularly concerned about Hillary's original vote to allow Bush to go to war against Iraq. She dances around it without directly explaining her vote. A lot of smart people opposed the war. She claims to be misled. Were they smarter than her? My impression is that her vote was the result of a political calculation of the worst sort.

Hillary was more presidential than any candidate in either party. She struck me as the most qualified to hold the job - even though I wish it was someone else.

I've written before that I'm seeing a gradual drift to the left in the country as a whole. The debate last night confirmed that. There was unequivocal and unanimous agreement that gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military. The only disagreements about universal health care were about the details. Those liberal positions are consistent with signs in the popular culture that the mainstream flows to the left now.

Next up, the Republicans debate again. What fun!

No comments: